In case you are not aware of what’s been happening with Minecraft’s combat this year, confirmed by Jeb himself they are re-working the whole combat mechanics in the game. To this day one of the most controversial changes in Minecraft’s history is the combat system, the delayed hitting, the waiting process, we could go on about it all day. Good news is after all this time they are making changes and Jeb is taking control of this matter. Below is as quoted from Jeb. (Combat snapshot 3) this is NOT final and us subject to change.
Updated Combat Test Snapshot (number 3) and a custom map for combat testing
Please take the time to read the full post, thank you! =)
Alright! Time for the third test snapshot of new combat mechanics!
I went through the comments on the previous post and the topics on the feedback site, and made a couple of changes:
- Returned Sword speed to 3.0 (from 2.5)
- Re-introduced hold-to-attack, but attacks now happen at “120%” charge which is slightly slower than optimal spam clicking
- Knockback resistance is now a scale instead of a dice roll (less RNG)
- Axes now always disable shields for 1.6s, instead of a 25% chance to disable them for 5s (less RNG)
- Axes now only take 1 durability damage for attacking
- Axes now have a new “Chopping” enchantment that adds +1 damage and +.5s shield stun per level (max 3 levels)
- Projectiles no longer trigger the invulnerability timer, which means that a Multishot crossbow can hit (and deal damage) with all three arrows
- Shields protective arc has been decreased to ~100 degrees instead of 180 degrees
- Added a “Shield Indicator” option that displays when the shield is active (similar to the attack indicator)
- Added an option to hide the shield when it’s active
The Chopping enchantment is experimental. You can still apply Sharpness to axes in the anvil, but Sharpness and Chopping are mutually exclusive. An option here is to change Chopping so that it only affects shields, and let axes get Sharpness from enchanting, but currently there are no mobs in the game that use shields so in that case Chopping would be meaningless in PvE.
The delay to auto-attacking will likely be removed when we add the system to Bedrock for controllers and touch. It may be a mouse-and-keyboard only limitation.
First post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/c5mqwv/a_custom_java_edition_snapshot_to_test_new_combat/
Second post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/cqnp5b/update_custom_java_edition_snapshot_to_test_new/
- Download this zip file: https://launcher.mojang.com/experiments/combat/0f209c9c84b81c7d4c88b4632155b9ae550beb89/1_14_combat-3.zip
- Unpack the folder into your “versions” folder of your local Minecraft application data folder (see below if you are confused)
- Create a new launch configuration in the launcher and select the “1_14_combat-3” version
- Start the game and the remaining files will be downloaded
- Play in a new world! This version is not compatible with other snapshots! (These are based on the 1.14 branch and doesn’t include any bug fixes or features in the mainline snapshot series.)
Finding the Minecraft application folder:
- Windows: Press Win+R and type %appdata%.minecraft and press Ok
- Mac OS X: In Finder, in the Go menu, select “Go to Folder” and enter ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft
- Linux: ~/.minecraft or /home/<your username>/.minecraft/
Once you have the launcher set up you can download the server files from there as well.
COMBAT TEST MAP
The team has created a map for testing combat mechanics! Download it here: https://launcher.mojang.com/experiments/combat/5b0f9b66f0ece20b0a0305db7729c6b0a66ee3d3/Combat%20Test%20Map.zip
Here’s what you’ll find in each of the sections of the map:
- A weapon test area where you can test out weapon range, new enchants, shield mechanics, etc.
- A Vanilla gameplay challenge area with portals into iconic Minecraft encounters
- PvP and PvE battle arenas
Feel free to give feedback on the map as well!
In addition to replying here on reddit, you can head over to the feedback site to discuss specific topics here: https://aka.ms/JavaCombatSnap
Please note any combat designs or features within the combat snapshots and maps may or may not appear in an upcoming final release. As usual, we recommend keeping an eye on our release changelogs for details.