After 6 months of waiting we finally have another test snapshot for the up and coming Minecraft combat changes, (date tbc) Jeb is taking control of this matter himself and also reached out to the community via reddit and social media to ask what people like/dislike about the current combat situation. He outlined he’s been overwhelmed with the support for feedback regarding combat as his has split the community for a very long time.
Combat Test version 6
Note: This is a test snapshot, not to be confused with the 1.16.2 pre-releases!
After half a year of hiatus, here’s version 6 of the combat test snapshots!
Again there are some radical changes, which means we’re still not ready to move on to phase 2 of the tests (which means, fewer system changes and more focused on number balancing). If you have a keen eye you will notice that we are slowly progressing more and more towards something similar to 1.8, but recent twitter comments are saying v5 was great, so… I’m trying to find the sweet spot. Remember, squeaky wheel gets the oil!
Changes compared to previous test
Redesigned aim assist again. Different approach this time, NO LESS CONTROVERSIAL!
- Removed “Coyote Time”
- Entities with bounding boxes that are smaller than 0.9 of a block are inflated (for targeting purposes) to be 0.9 of a block (rabbits, bats, etc)
- Swords always have sweeping attacks again, axes have it with the Sweeping enchantment
- Missing now only puts a 4 tick delay until the next attack regardless of weapon.
- Increased base reach to 3 (was 2.5) and removed bonus reach for delayed attacks
Changes to shields:
- Shields now only protect up to 5 damage for melee attacks (still 100% against projectiles)
- Shields recover faster after an attack
Changes to axes:
- Renamed Chopping to Cleaving
- Removed other weapon enchantments from the enchanting table. The axes simply had too many possible enchantments. It also feels a little bit fitting with a rare Cleaving enchantment than a common Sharpness enchantment for axes
Changes to bows / projectiles:
- Player momentum is added to thrown projectiles, but only in the direction you are aiming
- Bow and arrow accuracy now slowly decreases the longer you pull the bow
Changes to food and hunger:
- Reverted eating time to 32 ticks
- Eating is now interrupted if something hits you
- Natural healing is even faster (2 seconds, was 3 seconds)
- Natural healing drains food 50% slower
- By popular request – Reintroduced the rule that sprinting requires more than 6 points of food
- Removed the attack indicator completely since it is no longer used by any systems
- Fixed knockback calculation
- Fixed damage value on items being off-by-one client-side
- Fixed bug that caused players to be unable to attack/interract after respawning
- Nerfed Sweeping Edge enchantment to 25/33/37.5 percent (was 50/66/75%)
Again, thank you all for your input!
- Download this zip file: https://launcher.mojang.com/experiments/combat/5a8ceec8681ed96ab6ecb9607fb5d19c8a755559/1_16_combat-0.zip
- Unpack the folder into your “versions” folder of your local Minecraft application data folder (see below if you are confused)
- Create a new launch configuration in the launcher and select the “pending 1.16_combat-0” version
- Start the game and the remaining files will be downloaded
- Play in a new world! This version is not compatible with other snapshots!
Finding the Minecraft application folder:
- Windows: Press Win+R and type %appdata%.minecraft and press Ok
- Mac OS X: In Finder, in the Go menu, select “Go to Folder” and enter ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft
- Linux: ~/.minecraft or /home/<your username>/.minecraft/
Once you have the launcher set up you can download the server files from there as well.
In addition to replying here on reddit, you can head over to the feedback site to discuss specific topics here: https://aka.ms/JavaCombatSnap