Another week, another Combat test snapshot. This snapshot though re-introduces eating interruption which many players did not enjoy during the previous snapshots. This makes PVP quite difficult so Jeb is definitely looking for feedback reading those changes.
Here we go again… Combat test snapshot 8b
Here’s combat test snapshot version 8b!
Mostly balance changes this time, I think we’re getting somewhere.
Features that have made a return:
- Returned eating interruption for getting hit (by players or mobs), also applies to drinking
- Returned bow fatigue for holding the bow pulled, but it doesn’t start until 3 seconds. Bow fatigue will also cancel out “critical arrows”
- Weapon enchantments are now included in the base damage when calculating crits and potion effects
- Strength I/II now adds +20%/+40% (was +3/+6 damage)
- Instantenous effects on tipped arrows are now scaled by 1/8, just like the duration of other effects
- Healing potions now heal 6 points per level (was 4)
- Cleaving now adds +2/+3/+4 points of damage (was +1/+2/+3)
- Liquid food (stews, honey, milk) can now be consumed faster (20 ticks, was 32 or 40 ticks)
- Potions can now be drunk faster (20 ticks, was 32 ticks)
- Fixed shield protection arcs… again!
- Improved server-side attack range calculations, should hopefully mean fewer “false misses” but still needs more work
And as always, thank you all for your comments and feedback.
Also, here is an Excel sheet I’ve been using to check damage values. It should be compatible with most other spreadsheet applications: https://launcher.mojang.com/experiments/combat/ed4ac6cf06a6828888f24b58416542dacf6e9960/Minecraft%20Damage%20Calculations%20%28v2%29.xlsx
Please playtest the snapshots and share videos!
- Download this zip file: https://launcher.mojang.com/experiments/combat/9b2b984d635d373564b50803807225c75d7fd447/1_16_combat-5.zip
- Unpack the folder into your “versions” folder of your local Minecraft application data folder (see below if you are confused)
- Create a new launch configuration in the launcher and select the “pending 1.16_combat-5” version
- Start the game and the remaining files will be downloaded
- Play in a new world! This version is not compatible with other snapshots!
Finding the Minecraft application folder:
- Windows: Press Win+R and type %appdata%.minecraft and press Ok
- Mac OS X: In Finder, in the Go menu, select “Go to Folder” and enter ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft
- Linux: ~/.minecraft or /home/<your username>/.minecraft/
Once you have the launcher set up you can download the server files from there as well.
In addition to replying here on reddit, you can head over to the feedback site to discuss specific topics here: https://aka.ms/JavaCombatSnap